October 17, 2012 Why are tabloids SO popular in our culture?
Though not as popular as they once were, tabloids are still a prevalent industry in our society. We have a fascination with not only the rich and the famous but also just scandals in general. So just what draws us to them?
- They are inexpensive.
- They draw us in using opinion and emotion.
- They invite the reader to apply judgement or derision.
- They tell stories–some true others completely fictional.
- They bring the rich, powerful, and famous down to our level.
- They let the reader become immersed in a world with few real-life consequences.
- On the surface, they disclose secrets and private information. Often an illusion but it makes us feel like “insiders” regardless.
- Cover a broad range of interests.